Coconut, Basil and Lime Trifle01.5.2018
A fresh, light, tasty dessert.
A delicious gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian dish from Danielle Maupertuis from FreeFromDesserts.
Basil and lime panna cotta
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 150 ml milk alternative ( almond, rice, soya …)
- 4-5 gr agar agar
- 375 gr cream ( oat, soya, coconut…)
- 120 gr unrefined golden caster sugar ( or coconut sugar )
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
Coconut whipped cream
- 1 can coconut milk FULL FAT ( at least 52% coconut fat )
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or 2 Tbsp golden caster sugar
- ½ vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 70 gr plain flour ( or gluten free )
- 60 gr unrefined caster sugar
- 50 gr ripe banana
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda
- 25 ml milk alternative
- 25 ml rapeseed oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp milk alternative
- For the Basil and Lime Panna Cotta In a saucepan, bring the basil and the cream to the boil. Cover with cling film. Infuse for 20 min. at least. Discard the basil.
- Dissolve the agar agar in the milk alternative and allow to rest for 5 min.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, keep it boiling for 1 min.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat up the sugar, lime zests and cream, incorporate the agar agar and give it a last boil.
- For the Coconut Whipped Cream Chill the coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Place a metal mixing bowl and metal beaters in the freezer 1h before using.Open the tin, taking care not to shake it.
- After thorough chilling, the coconut cream will solidify and separate from the milk. Scoop out the solid coconut cream into the cold mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream with the chilled beaters until stiff peaks form.Add the maple syrup ( or sugar ) and vanilla . Keep aside in the fridge.
- For the Sponge In a food processor, blend all ingredients together, except the 2 Tbsp milk alternative. When the mix is a smooth and homogeneous consistency, add the 2 Tbsp of milk alternative.
- Line a baking tray with bakewell paper, pour the sponge and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake at 170 degrees, +/- 12-15 min.
- Finishing Build up the trifle as shown on the picture. You will alternate cream, sponge, panna cotta, etc. Optionally, you can add some cubes of fresh mango. Finish with coconut shavings.