Roasted Parsnip & Carrot Soup with Kale Crisps26.12.2018
A wonderful, hearty soup recipe courtesy of Waitrose. Thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes.
Roasting the parsnips and carrots first intensifies their flavour and brings out their natural sweetness.
- 500g essential Waitrose Parsnips
- 300g carrots
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 150g pack pentland brig kale, stalks and leaves separated
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 500ml fresh vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp non-dairy yogurt alternative
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Trim and peel the parsnips and carrots, then cut into 3cm chunks. Toss with the maple syrup and 1 tbsp oil, then spread out on a parchment- lined baking tray. Season and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Chop the kale stalks, then add to the pan with the onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid, add the cumin and cook, uncovered, for another 3 minutes. Tip in the roasted parsnips and carrots, stock and 750ml water; bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven down to 160°C, gas mark 3. Tear the kale leaves into 4-5cm pieces. Toss with the remaining oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Season and spread over a baking tray. Roast for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway.
- In a blender, whizz the soup with 1 tbsp lemon juice until smooth. Add a splash of water to loosen if needed, then reheat. To serve, swirl in a dollop of non-dairy yogurt alternative; top with the kale crisps and some black pepper.