Sweetcorn & Red Onion Pancakes12.2.2018
A savoury twist on pancakes...you certainly won't want to stop at one!
A wonderful Vegetarian recipe courtesy of Waitrose.
Photo also courtesy of Waitrose.
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Cooks’ Ingredients Red Chilli, seeded and chopped
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 essential Waitrose Sweetcorn Cobs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 20g pack fresh coriander, chopped
- Place the garlic, chilli, sugar and vinegar together in a small pan and add 100ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3–5 minutes until the chilli is soft and the sauce reduced by half. Remove from the heat, then pour into a small dish and leave to cool. Cook the corn cobs in a pan of boiling water for 5–6 minutes until the corn kernels are tender. Drain and scrape the sweetcorn from the cobs using a sharp knife.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl with seasoning. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg yolks and milk together and whisk into the flour to make a very thick batter. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold into the batter.
- Fold the corn, onion and chopped coriander through the batter mixture. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the pan and cook for a minute or two on each side until golden. Keep warm on a plate in the oven while you cook the rest. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and the dipping sauce.